Friday, November 21, 2008

Dolezar (MLB.com) Interview Part II

Part II of my interview with MLB.com Editorial Producer Jon Dolezar..

Message
3. Jon, we used to work together at CNN Sports/CNNSI, what lessons were you able to draw from that experience to apply professionally as you developed your career?
Considering that it was my first job out of college -- and, in fact, you hired me as a post-graduate intern at CNN Sports for the Summer of 1996 while you were running the intern program -- I guess a great deal of what I continue to practice to this day in my professional life was shaped both during my time as an intern and then as a full-time employee there, too. That was the summer of the Atlanta Olympics, so there was obviously a great deal going on around town. It was thrilling to be a part of the launch of CNN/SI in December 1996, and to see how much hard work goes into getting a fledgling network off the ground. Unfortunately for us, it was never able to gain much traction and couldn't slay the ESPN giant.
But working at CNN was an amazing experience that taught me so much. Journalism is a pretty cutthroat and intense business, and I learned that focus and discipline are required to last in this business. I also learned from a lot of negative things that I try to avoid now that I'm in the position of helping out younger folks who are just starting in this business. The negativity, backstabbing and just general lack of respect that some people have can really turn folks off to a career, and they aren't going to want to go to war for you if that's the case. So I guess I took both positive and negative examples that I continue to carry with me to this day.
Mostly, though, I fondly recall the many enjoyable people that I met and got to work with there, and how much fun we had on a nightly basis. That taught me that an enjoyable attitude in the workplace goes a long way, and the close relationships that you form with your co-workers can get you through tough times (of which there were many at an upstart cable sports network that ultimately only lasted six years).
4. Talk about the role you think organized sports plays in developing winning characteristics in young adults and into their adulthood.
This is a particularly timely subject for me since my two boys are now both getting involved in youth sports. I've helped coach their teams in both baseball and soccer, and few things that are more rewarding and enjoyable to me than to share my love of sports with youngsters. I love the friendships that form through sports among the kids, the confidence-building that takes place, obviously the physical conditioning element of it, but the most important part for me is just getting to spend quality time with my kids. So many of my best memories from my childhood revolve around moments in sports that I got to share with my parents, and the chance to be there to build similar moments with my two boys is so valuable and moving to me.
As with most kids, I played sports throughout my adolescence and high school years, and those memories and experiences continue to shape me to this day. I still vividly recall sayings that my high school football coach used to use regularly, and I try to apply them to my everyday life. Sports is definitely a metaphor for life, but I've always been surprised by how easily I can apply those lessons of teamwork and leadership that I learned in middle school and high school to my current life working as a journalist.

No comments: